Frequently Asked Questions
What types of services do you offer?
- full-service residential and commercial moving (packing, prepping, disassembly and reassembly of furniture, etc.)
- simple in-house moves
- haul-away and disposal of old unwanted furniture and appliances
- POD and storage unit packing
How far in advance do I need to schedule my move?
What if I need to cancel or reschedule?
What kind of preparation should we do prior to the move?
Your amount of pre-move preparation completely depends on your time and availability, and we’re more than happy to do all the prep work for you. However, the more prep work you do, the quicker we can complete the move and keep the bill as low as possible. Some common examples of pre-move preparations include:
- Furniture Disassembly: We typically disassemble and reassemble all furniture and can handle most common items rather quickly. We come prepared with all the tools and knowledge necessary to properly complete this. Some items that typically require more time to disassemble include exercise equipment, trundle and custom beds with built-in drawers, saunas, etc. Some customers choose to disassemble some or all items prior to our arrival in order to save time, but we come prepared to every move to disassemble anything necessary.
- Appliance Disconnections: We ask that you disconnect all gas and water lines prior to our arrival, due to liability regulations with insurance.
- Artwork, Mirrors and TVs: We ask that you remove all artwork, mirrors and TVs from the walls prior to our arrival. We will prep them to protect them for the move.
- Emptying Drawers: All clothing can typically remain in dresser drawers, but we ask that all other items be removed and boxed (especially anything breakable). If you have a special circumstance/request or are unsure whether something needs to be removed, we can discuss prior to the move. This is usually not to make our jobs easier or to lighten the load, but rather to protect your items. Furniture is often carried at an angle and can be stacked on the truck in any position, creating the opportunity for items to shift within the drawers or even slide out the back of a drawer. Something as small as a paper clip can get between the furniture blanket and the item and damage a wood finish during transit. For smaller file cabinets, files can remain in the drawers. Larger file cabinets may need to be emptied, depending on weight and whether stairs are involved.
- Packing of Smaller, Loose Items: The fewer stray, loose items we carry, the quicker the move will go. These items often add much more time to the move than the larger furniture will. We typically have extra boxes on the truck if you need to consolidate loose items into larger boxes, such as electronics, smaller decorations, smaller artwork and framed photos, etc. We recommend that any bedding and pillows be put into boxes or large garbage bags. Hanging clothing should either be placed into wardrobe boxes or covered in bags/covers/plastic prior to us carrying them to the truck, unless you are moving it on your own.
Do you offer moving supplies?
We offer a variety of moving supplies. Please visit our Packing Supplies page at http://www.perrysburgmovingandhauling.com/packing-supplies.html for information and pricing. Supplies are available for pickup or delivery with 3-4 days’ notice, and delivery within Perrysburg is free!
Do you work in all weather conditions?
What types of trucks do you use?
How do you charge for your services?
We charge an hourly rate for our moving and packing services and offer free estimates to determine the necessary crew size and trucks needed to complete a job. This is an all-inclusive rate… no hidden fees or additional charges for truck, fuel, mileage, insurance, basic materials and equipment used, etc. For non-local moves (typically 50 miles or further from Perrysburg or Sylvania), we will implement a fuel surcharge based on total miles traveled. For all moves, the clock starts when we leave our shop and ends when we return to the shop, which is near Levis Commons in Perrysburg. We may implement a surcharge for any extremely heavy or unusual items, including pianos, safes, larger exercise equipment, etc., but any additional charges will be discussed and clearly stated in the estimate prior to the move. No surprise charges from us!
For moves in which you are already packed, there is no charge for basic materials used during the move (tape, furniture blankets, shrink wrap, etc.). If we are packing up your home, you will only be charged for actual boxes and materials used. If you choose to order supplies from us to pack your own home, we offer free delivery of supplies within Perrysburg. Please visit the Packing Supplies page our website for pricing information.
How do I pay you?
Should I tip my movers?
If you feel we did an exceptional job, feel free to tip your movers directly or you can add a tip to your total if paying with a check or credit card. However, a tip is not required.
Are you licensed and insured?
Yes, we are. We abide by all Ohio laws and regulations and are completely compliant with all licensing requirements. We are fully licensed by the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) to operate intrastate and interstate household goods moves for both residential and commercial customers.
Our license numbers are, for your reference:
- USDOT: 02860641
- PUCO CPCN: 00602405
- MC: 026853
For more information or questions regarding the status of our licensing and insurance, please contact us.
How does your insurance work if something is damaged?
We do our best to avoid damages while your items are in our care. All Ohio moving companies are required by law to allow customers to choose how they would like to be reimbursed in case of accidental damages. For every job, we carry $1,000,000 in liability insurance per occurrence, and $2,000,000 in total coverage. Also included with our standard hourly rate is up to $50,000 of coverage for household possessions during transit in our box truck. We also offer the following coverage options for your possessions during the handling of them.
- Minimal Reimbursement Coverage: This is the standard coverage that is required by the State of Ohio and is included in the hourly rate with all of our moving services. This option includes coverage of up to 60 cents per pound for any damage that occurs during the moving process.
- Full Value Replacement Coverage: This option is available to anyone who wants to make sure that they are fully covered in the event of unforeseen damages. This is billed out at a rate of 1% of the declared value of our items, with a minimum rate of $6 per pound. With this coverage, the declared value (or a minimum of $6/lb x weight) of the load is used to calculate the charges.
- Items of Extraordinary Value: Any highly valuable items are considered to be worth over $100/lb and need to be declared separately regardless of the cargo coverage elected. This is another mandated rule for moving companies in Ohio.
All coverage options are controlled by state and federal agencies that govern household goods moving companies. Any licensed mover must offer reimbursement coverage prior to starting your job. We pride ourselves on handling your possessions with extreme care in order to prevent any damage to your goods or home; however, in the instance something is damaged, we are more than happy to work with you to get it resolved.