Before you move into a new home, it is essential to perform a thorough cleaning. This is the best time to clean, as your house is empty and you do not have to worry about rearranging your furniture. Make sure your home is spotless and ready for your family by following the move-in cleaning checklist below.
Bathroom Cleaning Tasks
- Toilet: Disinfect the toilet, including the area behind it. You may want to replace the toilet seat cover, as this is an easy, inexpensive way to freshen the bathroom.
- Shower: Use a soap-scum remover to scrub the shower and bathtub, including the grout and shower head.
- Medicine cabinet: Clean the inside of the medicine cabinet.
- Vanity: Wipe down the vanity, including the sink, counter top, and cabinets. If you can, pull the vanity away from the wall to clean behind it.
Related Article: Five of the Most Common Moving Mistakes
Kitchen Cleaning Checklist
- Refrigerator: Remove the refrigerator shelves and drawers, allow them to soak in a tub filled with hot soapy water, then scrub them thoroughly. Clean the inside and outside of the refrigerator, including the top, sides, and back. Make sure to clean the vent, as dust build-up is a fire hazard. Pull the refrigerator away from the wall to clean behind it.
- Oven: Remove the oven racks, stovetop grates, and knobs, allow them to soak in a tub filled with hot soapy water, then scrub them thoroughly. If the oven has a self-cleaning feature, turn it on. If not, scrub the inside of the oven by hand, including the top, bottom, sides, and back. After this process is complete, scrub the food residue and grease from the glass on the oven door. Pull the oven away from the wall to clean behind it.
- Sink: Use a mixture of vinegar and baking soda to scrub the sink, or steel wool if it is made of stainless steel.
- Cabinets: Wipe down all surfaces inside and outside of cabinets with a slightly damp soft cloth, including the top, bottom, sides, shelves, and drawers.
Cleaning Checklist for the Whole House
- Light fixtures and ceiling fans: Dust light fixtures, keeping an eye out for dead bugs. Clean the blades of the ceiling fans using a microfiber cloth or an old sock or pillowcase.
- Walls: Use your vacuum’s nozzle attachment to remove dust and cobwebs from molding along the ceiling and corners. Wash your walls with a cleaner safe for the wall surface or a solution made of water and vinegar. A Magic Eraser can remove scuff marks or tough stains.
- Doors: Wipe down the doors, including the tops. Disinfect doorknobs as they are touched frequently and likely covered in germs.
- Windows: Remove screens, soak them in warm, soapy water, and scrub with a soft bristle brush. Rinse them, then replace them after they have dried completely. While the screens are soaking, clean the window frame as well as the glass. Pay attention to the spot between the windowpane and the screen, as it collects dirt, dust, and pollen from outside.
- Floors: Sweep and mop hardwood, tile, or vinyl floors. Rent a steam cleaner to clean the carpets, which will remove tough stains and any lingering odors from pets or smoke. If you know the previous occupants had pets, you may want to de-flea the carpet as well.
- Washer: Use a cleaner tablet to sterilize the washing machine. Wipe down the outside of the machine, including the top, sides, back, and door.
- Dryer: Clean the lint trap and its cavity with a damp cloth. Lint build-up is one of the most common causes of house fires. Wipe down the outside of the machine, including the top, sides, back, and door.
- Furnace: Clean or replace the furnace filter. Clean the fan and blower or hire a professional to do so.
- Ductwork: Replace air filters. Hire a professional for a thorough cleaning of ductwork.
Now that your home is clean, save yourself time, energy, and stress on moving day by hiring professional movers.
Call Perrysburg Moving and Hauling When It’s Time To Move!
Are you ready to book your move with the areas #1 moving company? You can schedule with us in one of two ways:
- Fill out our Request A Quote form
- Call or text us at 419.740.1005
Have a Stress-Free Moving Day and Contact
Perrysburg Moving and Hauling Today!