Are you planning a move in the near future? As you start reviewing all the things you’ll need to pack and take with you to your new home, you will probably start noticing many items you don’t want or need anymore. If you’re downsizing to a smaller living space, you might have furniture that simply takes up too much room.
While it’s easy to get rid of smaller items and things like toys and clothing, furniture is a bit trickier when you need to get rid of it before a move. Some of the best ways to downsize and rid yourself of unwanted furniture include:
- Give it to friends or family. If you have a sofa, bed, or other large piece of furniture that you no longer need, ask your friends and relatives if any of them would like it.
- Donate it. Charities like Goodwill and the Salvation Army have retail locations where customers can purchase clothing and furniture at a very low cost, and most of these retailers will accept old furniture that you don’t want anymore. Many places will pick it up, too.
- Consign it. Local consignment shops in your area may offer to sell your old furniture on your behalf, contacting you once it has been sold and giving you a portion of the sale price. This is a great way to get rid of old furniture quickly and make a little extra money too, but consignment may take a while.
RELATED ARTICLE: 4 Expenses to Keep in Mind When Planning a Moving Budget
- Sell it online. Websites like the Facebook Market and Craigslist are perfect for offloading your old furniture. Take a few pictures, post it online, and you may have an offer for it within a few hours.
- Have a yard sale. If you have more than just furniture you would like to downsize before moving, a yard sale is a great way to get rid of this extra stuff and make some cash at the same time.
- Take it to the dump. If all else fails or if your old furniture is in too poor shape to sell or donate, then reach out to the local dump and see what you need to do to drop it off. These facilities can make sure it’s disposed of in an appropriate way.
One or more of these methods should help you get rid of any old furniture you don’t want to take with you to your new home, and the extra cash you could earn with some of them may help make moving a little easier.
You can also count on Perrysburg Moving & Hauling to haul away any items you don’t want as part of your move.
How Do I Book an Appointment for Moving Help?
Are you ready to book your move? Simply schedule an appointment with us in one of three ways:
- Fill out our online contact form
- Email us at PerrysburgMoving@gmail.com
- Call or text us at (419) 740-1005
Have a stress-free moving day and contact Perrysburg Moving today.